84% of Millennials and Generation Z Would Leave Their Favorite Brand if Another Company Offered Better Service Experiences
New global “Customer Care 2025” study by B2X provides exclusive insights into customer service expectations in consumer electronics
Munich – January 16, 2019 – A new study released by B2X, the leading provider of customer care solutions for smartphones and consumer electronics, found that Millennials and Generation Z (Gen Z) value excellence in customer service more than any other generation before.
In the exclusive global study Customer Care 2025, B2X surveyed more than 1,700 Millennials and Gen Zers in China, Germany, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. B2X conducted complementary personal interviews in order to get a deep understanding of the goals and expectations of younger consumer generations when it comes to customer service experiences around consumer electronics products such as smartphones, wearables and consumer IoT devices.
“Millennials and Gen Z will soon be the dominant customer generation, representing a multi-billion business opportunity for consumer electronics companies around the world,” commented Sebastian Bott, Head of Service Portfolio Management at B2X. “We know from numerous discussions with our clients and trusted partners across the globe that the industry is experiencing what is probably the biggest transition phase in its history.”
Disruptive technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things are rapidly accelerating the pace of innovation. At the same time, customer expectations are growing: The upcoming group of Millennials and Gen Z is regarded as one of the most significant and demanding customer generations ever.
Here’s a summary of the key findings:
Millennials and Gen Zers value excellence in customer service more than any other generation before.
- 81.0% stopped buying from a brand due to a poor customer service experience.
- 84.2% would change their brand preference if another brand would offer better customer service.
Instant access to customer service and lightning speed are everything in the mind of Millennials and Gen Zers.
- For 49.5%, Google Search is the very first action when help is needed.
- 49.9% would prefer to communicate with a bot because bots don’t ask annoying questions.
- For 43.7%, not being able to reach customer service is the single most mentioned experience killer.
- Speed of service is the most important component of the service experience before quality and cost.
Millennials and Gen Zers are the DIY generation and they love to solve problems on their own.
- 81.6% prefer to diagnose and fix software related issues with the help of a Virtual Assistant or Augmented or Virtual Reality.
- 78.0% prefer to repair hardware related issues with the help of DIY repair kits supported with step-by-step tutorials.
The Customer Care 2025 study also features a series of interviews with industry experts such as futurist Nicklas Bergman as well as representatives from MediaMarktSaturn Retail Group, IBM Technology Support Services and Barkawi Management Consultants. All survey results can be downloaded via the following webpage: b2x.com/customer-care-2025
B2X is the leading global provider of end-to-end customer care solutions for smartphones and consumer electronics. Founded in 2007, B2X helps many of the world’s leading consumer electronic companies deliver innovated and superior after-sales service experiences. The company’s unique positioning is based on its global service partner network and its SMARTCARE Technology platform empowering its digitally integrated customer care ecosystem. With more than 1,500 employees and over 500 trusted solution and service partners in 140 countries worldwide, B2X is the premier after-sales service provider for manufacturers, insurance providers, carriers and retailers.
Head of Marketing & Service Portfolio Management, B2X